Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hello everyone! This is my very first blog ever! Yes, Caitlin, welcome to the 21st century!

I am writing this blog primarily for an AP English Literature and Composition assignment for the wonderful Ms. Leclaire. We must as a "Big Question", or , in other words, we must ask a question that requires us to ponder not only a theme throughout the different works of literature we are reading, but a theme that is relevant throughout our everyday lives. My "Big Question" is fairly simple, but yet, is hard to comprehend:

What does it take to have the courage to do what's right when everyone around you is doing wrong?

If you think about it, standing up for what's right is hard. For instance, if someone is bullying another person, and you're a witness, what would you do? Of course, in your heart you know that the right thing to do is stop the bully from hurting the victim anymore, right? But would you actually do it? How brave do you have to be to stand up for the victim and potentially risk your own safety?

This question hits close to home for me and maybe for others too. I try not to be judgmental of others and I try not to gossip too much about certain people or things. I would like to say that I'm perfect and NEVER judge and NEVER gossip and NEVER give in to peer pressure, but I'm not perfect -nobody is. That's why it is hard to have the courage to stand alone and do what's right.

I believe in love, forgivness, and compassion. But as humans, especially teenagers, we tend to give in to gossip and peer pressure because we strive to fit in. But the real courage is doing the right thing even though it's different. If I'm nice to a person everyone hates, am I considered weird? If I don't go to a party where there might be drinking and drugs, am I a square? If I am the only one who will include a loner into a group, am I considered a freak as well?

Sometimes what is right may be the hardest thing to accomplish by yourself, but that's what courage is. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment